Become A Member
Colonial Heights is a body of believers united by our desire to follow Jesus Christ and committed to fulfilling the purposes set forth in our Mission Statement. If God has given you a desire to join with us and support the beliefs, fellowship, and mission of our church, we invite you to become a member. Here are the steps to becoming a member:
1. Present yourself for membership during any worship gathering when the invitation is given.
The Pastor will invite those who desire to become members of Colonial Heights to visit our Decision Counseling Room, which is located next to the stage in the Worship Center. You will then be introduced to a counselor who will speak with you and prayerfully guide you in your decision.
2. Express your desire for membership through one of the following:
- Profession of Faith - If you have never received Jesus as Savior and Lord and/or never publicly confessed Him, you will be given an opportunity to do that. After your decision has been confirmed, an appointment will be made for your baptism at Colonial Heights.
- Transfer of Membership from another Southern Baptist Church - If you are currently a member of another Southern Baptist church, you may transfer your membership letter from that church. Colonial Heights will contact that church to notify them of your decision and request your letter.
- Statement of Faith - If you have previously made a public decision, acknowledging that you have received Christ as your Savior and Lord, we will be happy to receive you. It will be necessary for you to be baptized at Colonial Heights if you have never been baptized scripturally (as a believer, by immersion, in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as a symbol of your salvation).
3. Complete our Membership Matters class.
- Our Membership Matters class is offered every month and is taught by one of our staff members. This class will help you to make sure Colonial Heights is the best fit for you and your family as you look for a church home.
- The content of the class will teach you what it means to be a follower of Jesus, help you to develop your own personal testimony, and explain the ministries and mission of Colonial Heights.
- Once completing the class, an elder will contact you to hear your testimony and confirm your agreement with our church covenant. New members are affirmed by vote by our elders and congregation every month.
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20
When a person turns away from their sin and confesses Christ as Lord, they are a new creation. Scripture tells us that we who were once dead in our trespasses have been made alive with Christ (Ephesians 2:4-5).
Baptism is a celebration of the grace of God in your life that has occurred through salvation. As believers, we believe that we are called to follow Christ in the example He set for us as He was baptized by immersion (Matthew 3:13-17).
If you are a believer and desire to join the Colonial Heights family, and haven't yet been baptized, we would LOVE to connect with you to discuss scheduling your baptism. As baptism is one of the two ordinances of our church (the other observing the Lord's Supper), each member must be baptized in order to join.
To take discuss baptism further, contact Drew Baum by clicking on the button below.
Learn More About Baptism