Some of us, as believers, struggle with the idea of growing closer to God. To be honest, from conversations I have with some believers, it’s that they just don’t know how to increase their intimacy with God. While others simply don’t realize that they are missing something if they are not intimate with Him. They called on Him for salvation, they try to obey His commands, but they don’t live their lives in a deep relationship with Him. The following steps can be taken to increase your intimacy with God.
- Confirm your salvation. Evaluate your life and the fruit of it and make sure that you are actually a follower of Christ and not just going through the motions.
- Consider your church. Make sure you are attending a Bible-believing, God-glorifying, Christ-exalting church. Now, make it a habit to stay plugged in and miss as seldom as possible.
- Cast your cares. (1 Peter 5:7) Make prayer a vital part of your life. Remember this is the way that Scripture dictates that we communicate with God. Communication is key for any healthy relationship.
- Contemplate the Scripture. Read it, study it, meditate on it, and memorize it. Remember, the Bible is breathed out by God and is useful for believers (2 Timothy 3:16).
- Count your blessings. As you evaluate your daily life, realize how many gifts have been given to you by God and remember that every good gift is from Him (James 1:17).